Most people avoid the concept of estate planning. However, with effective planning,there is a much smoother transition of property in the event of death.
When someone dies, there may be a financial and emotional burden that accompanies death, especially with an unexpected death. When the time comes to transfer the property of the deceased to the heirs, it helps if the deceased’s affairs are in order. Therefore, planning ahead with a complete estate plan is worth the time and the minimal cost.
Complete Estate Planning
Based in New Orleans, The Wheeler Law Firm has over 20 years of experience helping our clients find equitable and reasonable solutions to their legal issues. Furthermore, when it comes to estate planning, we provide a full range of services to protect your assets and honor your wishes:
- Power of attorney
- Living Will
- Revocable living trust
What is Succession?
Often referred to as probate, succession is defined in Louisiana law as a “transmission of the deceased’s estate or rights to his successors.” The process of succession includes:
- Drafting and filing a list of decedent’s property with the court;
- Appointing an executor of the estate;
- Disbursing funds to pay off the debt owed by the deceased;
- Distributing property based on the wishes of the deceased as outlined in the will;
- Presenting a final accounting of the estate to the court for approval;
- Obtaining a Judgment of Possession, whereby the deceased’s property is formally transferred to the heirs; and finally,
- Recording the Judgment of Possession in the parish courthouse.
Let us help you with your estate planning
The Wheeler Law Firm is receptive to the emotional needs of our clients. Above all, our goal is to listen. We want to get a full understanding of your issue and provide the best legal representation. Contact us today for a free consultation.Schedule a Free Consultation Today